“One day, you will kiss a man you can’t breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence.” – Karen Marie Moning
Kissing has been a formative part of any relationship since time immemorial. It acts as a form of connection between two individuals (which might, or might not be sexual). It is the first sign of human contact that a child gets from his/her parents, a form of expression between two people in love, a part of foreplay between couples, and a sign of greeting in several other cultures. Kissing someone is the most intimate you can get before things get sexual, and there is no denying the power it holds on people. The kissing frequency has shown a significantly positive association with all aspects of sexual experiences and relationship satisfaction, thereby making it a powerful way of bonding with your partner. So, today, let’s take out some time from our daily activities, pause, and think about the power of kisses in our relationships!
The Heart-Stopping First Kiss
Do you remember your first kiss? I remember mine! It was with the man who I have been in love with for a long time, and he had traveled 300 kilometers to meet me. It has been more than a decade to this story, but even now, whenever I close my eyes and think about it, I can smell his Calvin Klein perfume and his strawberry bubblegum. My current partner keeps sharing the story of his first kiss, one which he vividly remembers – of the girl of his dreams, back then, closing in on him and kissing him on his lips. He mentions the skip of his heartbeat even now when he thinks of the same and is instantly transported to the moment.
Do you know why first kisses are so memorable? Well, it is not the act itself but the anticipation of the same that remain with you the most. It builds up a comfort level between you and your partner, the person you are kissing for the first time. Touch is one of the most important factors of any relationship, and the slight touching of the fingers and the hug where you never want to let go of your partner is what sets the tone of the moment.
The One Where You Skip a Beat
When you are in a relationship, both you and your partner are responsible for creating an intimate bond – physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. The act of kissing makes you vulnerable and instantly establishes a connection. If you are in a new relationship, kissing can act as an amazing barometer to gauge the sexual compatibility between you and your partner.
As the ultimate expression of love, kissing releases several feel-good chemicals such as Dopamine, Oxytocin, and Serotonin into your brain. Also known as the love hormone, Oxytocin helps you connect to your partner. So, irrespective of the type of kiss – passionate or peck – the bond is instantly made.
When we equate a kiss with sex, we often think of the act of foreplay. Well, have we ever given a thought about why it happens? The oral zone is known as one of the most sensitive erogenous zones present on your body, and the lips have more nerve endings than any other part. So, when you share a sensitive long passionate kiss with your partner, Testosterone gets released through the saliva which then promotes sexual arousal. This gives you a sudden bout of energy which, when you break the kiss, can still be felt through the skipping heartbeats.
Kissing Also Cares for Your Overall Health
Kissing is food for the soul, yes, but it is also a crucial factor that improves your mind and body. Some of the best ways it can care for your health include:
- Making You Feel More Alert: Remember when you felt on top of the world after kissing your partner? Kissing releases Adrenaline and Noradrelaine in your body that increases your heart rate and prepares your body for action, thereby making you feel so alive.
- Reducing Stress Levels: In these trying times, stress is mostly on the top of our minds at any point of the day. However, you feel the calmest in this entire time when you’re in the arms of your lover, kissing, right? This is because kissing directly correlates to lowering the Cortisol level (stress hormone) in your body.
- Lowering Cholesterol Levels: It is a common fact that stress increases cholesterol levels in your body. So, when kissing can reduce the stress level, can the cholesterol level be far behind?
- Easing Allergies: This might sound like I am aiming for the moon at the moment, but believe it or not, in 2013, a Japanese study actually found that kissing your partner as you listen to soft music for around 30 minutes can relieve hives and reduce plasma neurotrophin levels as well. So, if you are someone who suffers from pollen or dust mite-related allergies, grab your partner and share a passionate kiss right now. Don’t forget to follow it up with the best sex toys onlineto add an edge to the whole act!
Every Kiss Shared Has a Meaning
Kiss rhymes with ‘bliss’ for a reason! While it can be a passionate lip-lock in between partners or a warm peck of love to show someone you care, kisses are much more than just being a physical touch. So, when you go for it, you need to know the meaning behind every kiss. If you are still with me here, let’s take a deep dive into what every act of kissing means:
- The Kiss of Love: Mostly had on the lips, this one is filled with the desire between the couple that shows attraction. It is known to show close friendship and romance.
- The Kiss of Affection: This type is excluded from any erotic or sexual intentions and is mostly filled with feelings of love. It can happen between siblings, parent-child, close friend’s circle, or family members.
- The Kiss of Peace: Have you ever been on the receiving end of a kiss that gives you THE BEST FEELING EVER? Well, that is the kiss of peace we are talking about. This is backed by the faithful feelings you have for someone.
- The Kiss of Respect: This is the act of showing your devotion and respect to a certain someone. Mostly planted on the forehead, hands, or knees, this can be interpreted as one for the Gods, at Altars, or an act of submission during BDSM acts.
- The Kiss of Friendship: As a mark of a kind gesture between two people who are bonded in the love of true friendship, this is a common practice for women and their peers as a form of greeting. This kiss is mostly placed on the shoulders, cheeks, hands, and head. A quick peck also constitutes the kiss of friendship.
“A kiss means a part of me will forever be with you!”
While this quote has been stuck in my mind for a long time now, it has gained more significance by the day, all thanks to the intensity present in relationships. I tried my best, through this piece, to share my feelings about the entire act, and tell you how to go about things in a more meaningful way. While you find your way through the world of kissing and intimacy, let me rest right now and hope yours are as memorable as mine!
Author Bio: Sharanya Bhattacharya is the content creator for Gear Isle. She writes about anything under the sun but prefers to share her insightful comments on strengthening the bond of love in the form of life experiences, tips, and tricks. She spends her time studying human behavior and writing on mental and sexual health. In her free time, she is not only a instrumental and metal music aficionado but is an ardent fan of romantic thriller books.